Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Back to School?

I never envisioned this whole “finding myself” process to be so stressful. As I watch my peers around me grow up and move into their “grown up” professional and personal lives, I’ve found myself taking a look at my own life and wondering…”Where the H am I going with it?!” As my year of resume padding at Christy’s Bridal has come to a close, the stress of job hunting has come upon me...again and yet, as I continue to browse through my options in the fashion industry (or lack there of in this area) I can’t help but realize that I’m no longer as passionate about it all as I once was.

Sure I love great clothes and over priced designer labels, but what I’ve found I love even more than that is the consumer behavior behind all of it. WHAT makes us buy what we do, HOW do we get them to continue to do it?! In my time at Christy’s I’ve found myself focusing more and more on the advertising and marketing portions of my job description, and less and less with the fashion portion of my job. I LOVE writing (although I’m not very good at it), I LOVE brainstorming with groups of people to regurgitate out some new great marketing idea, and I LOVE implementing all of that into one fabulous special event to promote the hell out of something!! Suddenly the dresses and the merchandising have taken a backseat to everything else I once thought was my “calling”.

I know that you hear all the time how many people transfer jobs like 30 times before they find something they love, and some people have two, three, even FOUR bachelors degrees on their resume because they just can’t seem to find that exact fit. I realize that in an age of limitless options it’s only natural that we’d take full advantage of all of it, but I never envisioned myself needing to. I always thought I was made for the fashion industry.

But as I do my own growing up, and my own personal career exploration I’m finding that what once was true just isn’t so much anymore. Dear lord the story of my life! So I’m contemplating heading back to school and switching focus a little bit; maybe something along the Advertising or Journalism lines. I have many creative friends already in the industries so I’ll have plenty of help along the way if need be, and plenty of advice to go off of this time around.

We’ll see though. Tomorrow is another day, with a whole different set of emotions to go along with it. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, girl, and best of luck with your decision. I wish I could go back to school, too. Maybe someday ....