Tuesday, May 15, 2007

It's My Birthday...Week

This week is my birthday week. Yes you heard me right, I said week. I’ll be 25!!! That’s a big deal!!! Birthdays have always been a big deal in my family, especially the milestones, and I hope it’s a tradition that I’ll carry forward on to my own kids someday! When I turned 5 I took all my friends (and my kindergarten teacher) to Showbiz pizza in Iowa for a big bash and for my 16th birthday I threw my first boy/girl party of my life (I know, I was a late bloomer). For my 18th (and my golden birthday) I rented out a hall and got a DJ for me and all of my friends. I spent my 21st in Las Vegas with my best friend Erin and my family and now the big 25 is roaring up behind me, and you better believe I plan on having a memorable quarter of a (personal) century birthday.

I am a firm believer, in the birthday week, as opposed to just birthDAY. Actually, I believe in the EVENT week. Weddings, graduations, bat mitzvah’s…whatever it is in your life that you look forward to at any particular moment, you should get a week to enjoy it…and make other people as well: a week of people being nicer to you, a week of talking about your special day as many times throughout that week as you feel is necessary, a week of presents (although we know that would never happen), but most importantly a week of celebration! Otherwise, it passes entirely too quickly if we don’t allow more time to enjoy it.

I have a number of different plans throughout the week: dinner tonight, birthday on Friday, and party on Saturday (even if I’m not exactly in the mood for such excitement). I also know for a fact that I’m annoying the ones around me as I say “Be nice, it’s my birthday week” or “I shouldn’t have to go to work because it’s my birthday week”. Yes, I am still a four year old when it comes to birthdays. No matter how much older I get, I still get super excited about turning one more year older and one more year closer to something exciting and absolutely unknown to me yet. I hope birthdays never lose their excitement and that no matter what happens in my life, I will continue to enjoy each and every moment that passes by me and appreciate, instead of dreading, the idea of turning one more year older.

Happy Birthday to me =)

7 comments:

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Week to you!

I'm with you. I love birthdays, and I think a big deal SHOULD be made of them. Especially big ones! I also think that people shouldn't ever dread being a year older.

Congrats on being (almost) a quarter of a century. :)

Krista said...

It is the "birthweek." That is the word my friends and I have coined. I am a huge fan of the birthweek, which you'll notice if you check my blog archives in and around Feb. 4 :)

Happy birthweek to you!! You get ALL the attention! AND you have a Friday birthday, which kicks ass.

Party on.

Christi said...

haha thanks ladies =)

Anonymous said...

I am soooo with you on birthday week. 25 years on this Earth deserves a celebration indeed. Enjoy it and have a wonderful Birthday (week)!!

Christi said...

Thanks Jean!!!!!!

Derek said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you get a chance to relax and enjoy it!

Christi said...

Muchas Gracias Derek. I will try my best to throw some relaxation in there.