Saturday, November 19, 2005

Premature Spirit

I'm a Christmas spaz. I'll be the first to admit that about myself. EVERYTHING about the season makes me so incredibly happy. The snow, the lights, the wrapping of the presents, even the scrooges of the season add joy to my life. When the Christmas season is in full swing I laugh a little louder, smile a bit bigger, and hug a bit harder. I'm just full of love and joy...as cheesy as that may sound.

But the spaz does have limits. Limits like: NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC BEFORE THANKSGIVING. That's a biggie =) And I refuse to put up my Christmas tree/obnoxious Christmas decorations (I'm sorry Nikki!!) until Thanksgiving is gone and overwith. A spaz I may be, but impractical I am not. I just think we get ahead of ourselves sometimes, and don't take time to induldge in the full spirit of the Holiday. It's coming sooner and sooner every year as the stores start putting their stock our well before Halloween has even broken, causing people to Christmas shop earlier and earlier to get a "head start" on the purchasing process. All the while missing the...cheezball line coming...true spirit of it all. It's sad.

I broke my limit Thursday night though when Erin (my best friend) and I decided to head downtown for the Milwaukee Lights Festival. I know I know, it's not even Thanksgiving yet and here we were celebrating Christmas but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. We walked down to the Marquette park around 7:00, linked arm and arm, skipping and singing the Laverne and Shirley theme song, to keep ourselves warm. Yes, we're big cliche dorks =) For about an hour once we got there, we wandered in the freezing cold drinking free hot chocolate, eating free cookies, and laughing at the people taking pictures in the faux snow globe set up. People are so weird =) It may have all been a bit premature, but it sure did put me in the mood. The dancing, and the lights, and the FIREWORKS kept me smiling through the night, even while I shivered with cold. I wish everyone could feel like that...all the time!

I still refuse to turn on 99 WMYX and subject myself to their "All Christmas, All The Time". I won't break on that =) But you can bet that come November 25, I'll be jamming in the Cabby to "All I Want For Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey and Harry Conick will be on repeat in the changer. Ahh Christmas. You're almost here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and you thought I would be offended by the christmas decorations. This jew grew up with a huge christmas tree of lights and a small ass menorah hidden behind it :) I'll go balls out with you to decorate our place! This just means we'll have to be home more often to enjoy them :)

Uisce said...

my spirit gets trampled by the whole shopping and gift thing. peace on earth, that would be so nice, but shop til you drop? how did we end up here?