Monday, June 18, 2007

Jon Hainstock Rocks My World

Live music, and great company will cure anything…I’m not kidding!

I was feeling really sick and down in the dumps on Friday and ended up getting into my car at the end of the day and just crying to myself. It felt really good to let it all out and just be sad for a second instead of constantly putting on the flippin’ happy face. I called Tara immediately, and I felt better after I unloaded on her. I was very grateful for her kind face and words. I sometimes feel as though I have nobody to talk to these days, but then I remember that no matter what Tara has always been there for me…a shoulder to cry on. And it makes me feel a little better to know that.

Shortly after, Tara made me a daiquiri which instantly made me feel better, but I couldn’t shake the icky feeling in my stomach or the sickness in my body. I was slightly dreading the rest of the evening, as I had made plans earlier in the week to meet up with some friends at Live on North Ave. to see Jon Hainstock’s show but I knew that being around good friends would make a world of difference for my mood.

It most definitely did.

John’s show was amazing! He has quickly been thrown to the top of my list of "live musical acts to see whenever possible", and everyone else at the bar seemed to be thinking the same thing. Tara, Nicky, Joe, Sara and I grabbed a table close to the front of the stage and enjoyed our half priced martinis and free Bud Lights, courtesy of the Bud Light girls running a special promotion there that evening. Jayne and her posse arrived shortly after and I was thrilled to be able to spend a little bit of time catching up with a dear friend whom I see not nearly enough. In between sets you could hear the rumble of the crowd singing sounds of praise for what they were hearing that night, and the friends I arrived with that evening said they would definitely be willing to see him again. Score! By the time the show ended I was a proud owner of a new Jon Hainstock CD and a certified fan no doubt. He rocked, seriously. I need to talk to his “manager” about getting him to Milwaukee more often!!

We left the bar early as I was sick and needed sleep desperately but I was thrilled that I trooped it out for the evening and went to the show. Music is my safe haven to a world of chaos. No matter what happens, or how I’m feeling, a good song and a great sound will heal almost anything I’m feeling…even if it’s only temporary. Throw in some great friends and some yummy drinks into the equation and you have your own personal psychological treatment facility right there at your fingertips.

It felt good to smile that day.

6 comments:

Farrah said...

Girl, I have cried in my car on my way home from work more times that I can count!

I too often feel like I have nobody to talk to. I'm seriously lacking in the girlfriends department, I don't have a boyfriend, and I live alone. I'm too old to run to my parents with all my problems. Since I don't have much choice, I'm learning how to comfort myself, but it's been a slow process. I'm sure it will pay off in the long run someday.

I agree with what you said about music. Just last week, I was thinking that when I hear a song I like, the rest of the world just fades away for 3 minutes. It's a wonderful feeling.

Christi said...

Awww Farrah, you know you can always talk to your fabulous e-friends!!! In fact, just a few weeks ago Krista let me unload a bit onto her and I must say that even though I've never met her in my life, it felt great!!! =) Girlfriends come in many different forms, or in this case....different fonts.

hahahaha

I'm funny

Okay that was bad. I'm out.

Farrah said...

I love bad jokes. See the one I just left for Krista.

Krista said...

Aw!

I cry on my way home from work, too. Only it's not because I feel lonely. It's because I hate my job. :)

Smooches, ladies.

Farrah said...

Krista -

I cry at my desk on days I hate my job. Or on a mature day, in the ladies room

Christi said...

Ugh I hate that feeling of being so overcome by whatever it is at the moment that you have to go cry in the bathroom at work. It makes me feel terrible.

But I suppose it's better sometimes that having a million people walk by your desk and ask "Oh my gosh what's wrong, do you want to go get a coffee and talk about it?" I appreciate the gesture don't get me wrong, but it's a little embarrasing to me.