Friday, June 08, 2007

I Call It Fishing

Tomorrow I camp…real camping...the kind where you sleep in a tent and bathe in the lake, and eat bugs to keep full. Okay that last part was a joke, and I’m sort of hoping the bathing in the lake thing was a joke too but unfortunately, I don’t know much about this camp ground we are going to except that it is secluded, small, and there is no running water…so I think that answers my bathing problem. I did buy a solar heated bag shower just in case. I’ll try “roughing” it in the outdoors, but at least let me be clean while I’m doing it!

I also went and got my first fishing license last night so that this weekend, I can attempt to fish. I bought a ten dollar fishing pole with a button to help me cast and some pink Barbie bobbers that I just had to have. I’m not really into fishing in terms of hooks and worms and fish and all that nonsense, but I LOVE going out on the boat, getting some sun, and throwing a fishing line in the water. Some would call that sun bathing, but I like to call it fishing. Plus, there is something really exciting about seeing the end of your fishing pole suddenly bend towards the water as the attached fish (or occasional chunk of seaweed) struggles to free itself from the sharp hook. I’ll throw my book down, anxiously reel in the fish, and then scream like a girl when I realize the fish attached is slimy and wiggly and yucky. And then, the fun of fishing is gone when I’m forced to stabilize a disgusting lake creature, rip a hook out of its poor mouth, throw it back in the water, grab a disgusting worm and re-bait my hook. It makes the hair on my arms stand up…I hate doing it. But after all that, my pole goes back in the water, and the peace that is fishing resumes and I’m happy again. I can’t wait!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun description of sunbathing! Have fun, Christi with your shades and SPF!

Krista said...

I'm sort of jealous. I LOVE camping. And fishing. Minus the hook-in-fish part. Gross.

You're funny. Have fun!

Krista said...

OH. I remember what I was going to say now:

You must change the heading on your blog. Because I believe it's two years old now. :) You're twenty-FIVE now.

Christi said...

hahaha oh my god you're right!!!! I think it's time for a blog makeover anyways. I'll work on that..maybe today since I'm bored.

Elizabeth said...

Can I admit that I'm laughing at you (just a little bit) for buying a solar heated shower bag? You would hate to camp with me... I'm a little embarrassed to admit how many days I've gone without showering on some camping expeditions.

Derek said...

We went camping this past weekend too @ Governor Dodge. Where did you go?

Can't wait to read the follow up post!

TS said...

Just remember to Slip-Slop-Slap.

Christi said...

Elizabeth, you most certainly can laugh at me. I like to think i'm outdoorsy, but the thought of not showering for a few days grosses me out a little bit. But I give mad props to those that can!!!

Derek, we ended up near there (about an hour south) at Yellowstone State Park. It was gorgeous and I hear Gov. Dodge is equally!

Thomas, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. But thanks for stopping by =)

TS said...

It was part of an Australian anti skin cancer campaign in the early eighties and have become a very common expression down under. Remember to SLIP on a T-shirt, SLOP on some sunscreen and SLAP on a hat: Slip-Slop-Slap.

Christi said...

oh hahaha. Thanks for the info. I'll remember that next time =)